I blame all those Korean dramas and rom-com’s for making me believe in perfection…but I am happy as the independent women! Being single can be so awesome and it can suck sometimes. I feel like a lot of people look down on being single, but honestly, its amazing. I have learned a lot being on my own!
It has been enlightening to me, so here are the things I have learned so far as a single girl.
- I have discovered myself. I know what I want to do now and have found the right path for me. I discovered a career path and how much I actually love school.
- I can do and travel where ever I want by myself. I can live in a different country without my significant other holding me back.
- I have trouble understanding my friends and their relationships because I am single. I am also slightly biased to being single.
- Relationships take too much thought and thinking. I do enough of that as a college student, thank you, but no thank you.
- School is so much easier when you don’t have boys or girls on your mind.
- No matter how many years you have on “the boyfriend,” the best friend will always be placed second. Its a truth I still have a hard time accepting. “Chicks before dicks” and “Bro’s before ho’s” is not a real thing (Most of the time!).
- Being the third wheel sucks and is awkward, but yet you always get stuck as the third wheel, because you love your friends.
- And everyone tells me that I am single because I am so picky, but F*** that. I have every right to be picky, and I am glad that I am picky. Because I won’t settle for a guy I kind of like. I want a guy I really like. :]]
- I have a perfect image in my head of love and I know its not going to be like that, but I am hopelessly waiting for it.
- Once I threw boys out of my life, I found happiness. True happiness. I can’t emphasis this enough. Without guys I found what I wanted and what was going to make me happy. Which doesn’t mean I want boys out of my life forever, but some time without them was needed.
So my advice. Find yourself before you find a life with someone else.
And yes, every relationship is different and this may not always be true, but its a good start if you don’t know where you want to go in life. So pack your bags and head to a different country, or enroll in a cool class, or talk about your future with others. Then you will realize what it is you want.
The Life as the Third Wheeler can be pretty awesome.